Q: What kind of rhythm does the writer create? Is there a variety in the sentence structure? Write about the writer's rhythmic choices and their effect on the overall tone of the piece.
A: In "A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf" by John Muir, he had a different rhythm to his writing than many others that I have read. When I read this piece, I felt that there was a very choppy feel to the piece. There was a lot of variety to the sentence structure in this piece as well. If you look at the second paragraph and the last line of it, it reads: "They, also, are his children, for He hears their cries, cares for them tenderly, and provides their daily bread." This sentence to me is very cut up. There are a lot of commas. John also capitalizes "He" which I believe he did that to emphasize the "He" that Muir is talking about. Muir also has sentences that have dashes ( – ) in them. I think the way the Muir added these touches to his work really made it a lot stronger. The sentences were better and weren't just normal sentences. Even though he writing was a little different, I enjoyed it a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment