Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Fecundity" -- Annie Dillard

Homeplace:

The flatness that spans across the horizon stretches for miles upon miles. Ground as level as a freshly planed wood table top. Green fills your eyes and explodes your mind. How can this be? Rows upon rows of growing corn and soybeans scatters the land. Driving, I encounter field after field seeming to be endless. The lone paved road breaks the fields apart and allows for farming equipment to get to their destinations. Fertile land spreads the countryside and the distinct aroma of the soil fills my nostrils. I have lived many years in this area and every year, the land always produces a plentiful crop. The best crops in the world come from this nutrient filled soil. With the flourishing amount of crops, many other animals and organisms are able to live. I love how the deer are able to run free and be as wild as possible. I believe they are in heaven around my area. Deer always have food to eat and an abundant source of water. Often times late at night I catch them sneaking drinks of water from a pound in a near timber. Fog slowly starts to creep in on them as the sun sets slowly over the horizon. I believe that this land makes a perfect home for many living organisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment