Thursday, May 20, 2010

Poem: "Place" -- Reading Like a Writer

Q: Break the piece down section by section. How does each piece act as a "building block"? How does the writer create dramatic tension or interest through these building blocks.

A: When you break down this poem from W. S. Merwin into sections you can really get a good feel for this poem. Each little section of this poem speaks loudly to the entire poem. These pieces come together in the end and really put it all together. Merwin really uses the correct words in each section to set up what he is talking about and tell the reader what his point is. He also creates interest when he says, "what for, not for the fruit." When I read this I wondered why he would say that. I read on and I found out that it wasn't just about the fruit. There was a deeper meaning that W.S. Merwin put into this piece and I think that he did a good job with this piece.

1 comment:

  1. You had a better understanding of this poem than i did. I didnt quite understand it that much; but after reading your blog I got a better feeling or understanding if you you will about his poem. I think by reading it a few more times and finding the deeper meaning like you did, a person would better understand Merwin's poem.

    ReplyDelete