Does any particular image run throughout the essay? If so, why does the author chose it? Does it have any "metaphorical significance"? Does it transform in any way from the beginning to the end of the essay?
When I read this short excerpt from Rick Bass I found myself always seeing the image of the wolves. Obviously the reading is about wolves, but I am seeing a more intense image of the wolves. He talks about the coats of fur on the wolves a lot and the color. Especially in the beginning of the excerpt he compares the wolves to coyotes and there differences. The author did this I believe to create a strong image of the wolves so the reader could see exactly what he was seeing in the Montana mountains.
To me it has a metaphorical significance to it. It seems like the coat of fur is always of importance to the author and it helps to display the wolves' beauty.
The image of the wolves transforms throughout the story a little bit. In the beginning Bass talks about how they coats are gray. Towards the end the coats of fur on the wolves were black. It seemed like it was a sign that things were changing. The wolves were coming back to the U.S. and they were different, but yet in ways, still the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment